Have you heard of girls declaring unconditional love towards their very first designer purchase even when the poor things had distress and age written all over? Well, I never fully understood this concept of sentimental value till I scored mine nearly a year ago with the “YSL Croc-embossed Tassel Chain Clutch” (what a mouthful to say). Yes, I enjoyed the YSL blogger bag and longed day and night for the Celine belt bag but this is the true baby of my tiny collection. Different to the YSL blogger bag post I made last year, this post will be a full-year review on the bag which hopefully will be more complete and insightful. Skipping the formalities, I am going to list down the pros and cons then add my thoughts and opinion as well.
It is a croc-skin embossed calfskin bag, with silver metal chain going through the two loops on the top and fringy tassel attached to the YSL logo on the flap. The bag has a single-compartment with an inner pocket and round magnetic closure, dimension (24×14.5×5.5). This make the interior very simple and hollow, hence very light-weight despite its boxy structure. Though labelled a ‘clutch’ I don’t really see it as one due to the size and functionality but refer more to the verdict to find out why.
What fits inside:
As much as I want to glorify this bag (because I love it so much!), I have to be honest that the width and sturdiness restrict its capacity a little. You can definitely still fit a lot inside though, a portable battery, small organiser, or a couple extra makeup products but try to avoid over-stuffing to preserve the shape.
I am overly lenient towards the pro but I am going to mention the cons of the bags as well for a more objective review.
- Categorised as more structured, the bag is not the most malleable out there.
- Unavoidable swinging movement lead to times when the tassel caught on to the logo.
- Visibility of small indentation caused by the tassel. This is probably if you often store it in a lying down position as I did.
- The bag might not appear casual-occasion friendly to some people, probably more fitting for fancier events.
- Strong magnetic closure means opening the flap requires a bit of tugging which can bother some and also more noticeable wear on the leather surrounding the closure.
- When worn as a clutch, the chain which is tucked inside the bag often annoyingly slips out because there is no actual way to secure it in.
- Non-adjustable chain means the bag will hang on different heights and we know one size does not fit all.
- Though shaped like a rectangle, the bag is not overly boxy and ‘harsh’ looking.
- Highly, highly durable material! The croc stamping camouflages the wrinkles that is given with the closure. (On the brighter side, it is theft-free and easy to close!)
- Looks amazing!! One, the tassel being the highlight of the bag adds a very unique and elongating touch to the bag. Second, the croc-embossed version projects a rougher and edgier vibe compared to smooth leather and so more versatile than you can expect.
- Functionality meet versatility as the bag can be worn three ways; on the shoulder, cross body and as a clutch.
- Minimal observed scratches on the silverware and indentation on the skin.
- Way lighter then what it appears to be and metal chain does not dig into your shoulder at all.
“Worn three different ways by Samantha Maria”
The struggle was real with writing the pros and cons as with each cons noted I can always find a supporting argument against it. I never really sat down and examine every inch of the bag nor critically analyse the purpose behind the design but I am now assured I could not have made a better choice! It fits perfectly in size and functionality between my blogger and belt bag, the medium go-to I would say. Here are some personal thoughts on mine.
- Wear and tear: Still looks brand new but each their own as I do take good care without excessive babying.
- Size and fit: It is always spacious enough, a definite plus as the blogger bag really fits minimal stuff
- Aesthetic: Definitely a statement bag without being overly in-your-face. The logo is definitely catching eyes but it is not overly-branded so it’s a bit subtler and classy.
- Use: My preferred way of wearing it is cross body with the bag resting just nicely on my hip. This bag adds the perfect dosage of sophistication to make you look more put together.
- Price worth: Bought this for around 2400 SGD last year without much comparison or options at the time. I dare say it is a step below the ‘Chanel Boy’ minus the weight, dollars but the attached brand value ofc.
- Resell worth: Never seen the bag on any resell market like Vestiare Collective so it’s either due to low resell prices or as I like to think people love it too much to let it go! But anyway, this is easily not a ‘commercial investment piece’.
The croc-embossed is perhaps an older version but the design is on of YSL’s classics along with Sac de Jour. The world is your oyster with this bag! You won’t believe how many versions exist out there. You can go for either the medium or small, chain or pure clutches (which are slightly longer), tassel v no tassel, different textures (smooth, grainy, croc-embossed, patterned), different colours (neutrals, metallic, glitter) and different hardware.
For different styling inspiration, look for heyyyjune and definitely Samantha Maria! Take my words that you’ll be surprised at how she can showcase the versatility of this bag. I won’t blame you if you suddenly want one
Here are some other great style inspo on amazing girls owning the looks!
If you are on the hunt for a cross body/clutch of similar design but don’t think this bag is for you, I have found a few others which you might want to consider. There are endless options out there including dupes or similar designs from high street brands so persevere on with the search and I’m sure you will find the one for you
- LV Chain Louise
- YSL Envelope WOC
- Balenciaga clutch
At this point some of you might be sick of the endless luxury bag posts that I’ve written on this blog. Though I enjoy occasional treats of branded goods, I am in no position to be spending grands monthly on designer pieces and this is not the main direction I’m planning to lead my blog towards. So keep an eye on if you are interested in anything from health, fitness, beauty, fashion and even studying abroad life!
If you are interested in the bag/ something similar, I’ve short-listed some great options you can find online:)
- YSL Official website:
These are identical and in the only two sizes available. The price difference is pretty small so I’ll definitely size up! Refer for detailed description but they are not the cheapest options (*continue scrolling)
Definitely take advantage of the 10% off if you are a new user to the website! Also don’t forget that price includes tax and there is free return if you change your mind.
- YSL Monogram Shoulder Bag: $2100 AUD (croc-embossed, grey calfskin, gold hardware, no tassel)
- YSL Monogram Shoulder Bag: $2370 AUD (smooth leather, white, intertwined gold rope instead of plain metal , no tassel)
- YSL Croc embossed Tassel Bag (medium): $2990 AUD (textured leather detail, grey calfskin, silver hardware
There is less options compared to Farfetched but the prices does include import taxes and the small size is still slightly cheaper than buying from YSL’s website.
- YSL Classic monogram embossed leather shoulder bag (BLACK, small): $2285 AUD
- YSL Classic monogram embossed leather shoulder bag (RED, small): $2370 AUD
Keep in mind the prices below are exclusive of tax and import charges. In Australia at least, it’s around 10% for items valued above 1000AUD, so be aware of that.
- YSL Monogram leather shoulder bag (medium): $1820 AUD(smooth grainy leather, gold hardware, no tassel, )
- YSL Monogram leather shoulder bag (small): $1520 AUD(smooth grainy leather, gold hardware, no tassel, )